Toxic and Dangerous Foods
That Your Dog Should
||Where there is food you can virtually guarantee that your beloved dog is not too far away, either giving you those eyes that say “please Mum can I have some,” or just doing what dogs do and scavenging for anything that smells remotely edible.
But before you give into the master of manipulation, or leave food where your dog can easily get their paws on it, please be aware that some food, or the ingredients that are contained in the food could cause your dog to become very ill or in severe cases result in death.
If you suspect your dog has ingested any toxic ingredients seek veterinarian attention immediately.
- Chocolate and cocoa powder contain a chemical called theobromine which if ingested in high enough quantities can affect the heart and nervous systems of your dog.
- The symptoms start within 6 hours and would include restlessness, vomiting, diarrhoea, high temperature, tremors, convulsions and heart failure.
- The size of your dog, the type of chocolate consumed and the amount of chocolate are the deciding factors on the affects it will have on your dog.
- Usually the darker the chocolate the more theobromine it contains. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate containing the most. A 5kg dog can be poisoned after consuming about 50g of dark chocolate whilst with milk chocolate it would have to eat twice as much.
|Grapes and Raisins
- Grapes and raisins and cause kidney failure in dogs and possibly death
- The toxic agent remains unknown but symptoms of poisoning would include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal tenderness, loss of appetite and lethargy and can show themselves within a few hours of consumption.
- The dosage that has caused problems in dogs has been 20g/kg although there have been cases of lower dosages making dogs ill. The dosage equates to around 20 grapes or about 20 - 30 raisins for a 10kg dog for them to become ill.
- The RSPCA has campaigned owners not to give any grapes/raisins to their dogs.
|Onions and Garlic
- Onions and Garlic contains a compound in it that causes Hemolytic anemia, the condition destroys the red blood cells in your dog
- Symptoms of poisoning are anemia, weakness, breathing difficulties, vomiting, diarrhoea and liver damage.
- Onions are more toxic than garlic.
- Although the exact quantities are not known it is thought that the small amount of the ingredients that are used to flavour human meals are generally safe. Having said that we would not recommend giving any onions to your dog just to be on the safe side.
- Alcohol contains a chemical called ethanol which damages the central nervous system and respiratory stress.
- Symptoms of alcohol poisoning would include sedation, depression, lethargy, weakness, coma and even death.
- A couple of measures whiskey could be enough to cause poisoning in a small dog.
- Alcohol is absorbed very quickly into the system so it is important to seek veterinarian attention as quickly as possible.
- Macadamia nuts contain an unknown compound that can make your dog very ill.
- Although generally not fatal, symptoms would include weakness, lethargy, joint/muscle pain and collapse.
- Dosage would be in between 2.2g and 64g/kg of dog weight
- Coffee, tea etc contain caffeine that can affect the central nervous and cardiac systems of your dog.
- Symptoms of caffeine poisoning would be vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and even death in a high enough dose.
- The lethal dose for a 10kg dog would be 1.5g of caffeine. So that would equate to drinking quite a few cups of strong coffee.
- Xylitol is a sugar free sweetener that can cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
- It can be found in items such as chewing gum, toothpaste and lozenges.
- Symptoms could include weakness, depression, loss of coordination, seizures and death.
Fruit Stones and seeds
- The stones and seeds of apples, pears, cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines and plums have a compound in them called cyanide which is poisonous if swallowed.
- Symptoms of poisoning would include weakness, vomiting, difficulty in breathing, apnea, seizures, coma and death.
Other foodstuffs to avoid
Rotten or Moldy foods
- Contain toxins that can make your dog very ill.
- The fruit, pip and plant contain a compound called persin which is toxic to dogs. Symptoms would include vomiting, diarrhoea and it could cause damage to cells in the heart.
- They could splinter and tear your dogs internal organs.
- In large quantities can cause an electrolyte imbalance which can cause neurological problems or death.
Foods high in fat and sugar
- Foods that are high in fat and sugar can contribute to a number of problems in your dog ranging from obesity, diabetes to dental problems.
*Please note that because of practical reasons not every foodstuff that has a harmful affect on your dog has been listed here. If you have any concerns about feeding your dog a particular food or your dog has eaten something you are not sure about please contact your vet*